Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A good day all around

I'm thinking of naming it Margot.

The thought crossed my mind the moment the tall, but aging man stepped into the train car. 

"SANTA!" ... If Santa was an old Jewish man who walked with a limp. 

The bearded man in the crisp black suit that covered his round belly leaned heavily on his cane as he attempted to sit, and finally plopped right next to me. After fuddling with his bag, he took out a piece of shiny paper foil and a set of small tweezers and began to fold. I was instantly fascinated. Within 10 minutes, it was clear he was making a tiny origami horse, complete with texture for the mane and tail. 

I'm sure my face glowed like a child's, and I thought I heard him chuckle to himself as he put the finishing touches on the pony. Then, much to my delight, he turned and said, "Here you go," handing me the paper art. I thanked him enthusiastically -- like I remember doing when I finally got "Charlie Brown's Christmas" on DVD ... last year. After the bestowing of silver animals, he made his exit, but not before he made my day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment