Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Good ol Alexandra

My main gripe* in life: My name isn't mentioned in a song. 

I guess I just don't have one of those names that make songwriters say, "Yes, she's the girl for a song." (Perhaps I should have dated more musicians). Instead, girls like Long Tall Sally, Peggy Sue, Penny Lane, Good Golly Miss Molly, and Dizzy Miss Lizzy got all the play. 

But now my streak has officially ended, and I thank you, Ben Kweller. 

Good ol Alexandra left her man last night
Off to Louisiana, New Orleans in sight
Her determination went right down to her bone
She is gonna make in on her own
Always been a rambler, moving her whole life
Daddy was a gambler with a heavyhearted wife
The twilight wind blows her face and that bronco engine moans
She is gonna make it on her own 

It's catchy. It's country. I'll take it. 


*Utterly untrue, but it's nice to dream about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment